About Sigma Phi Delta

Kappa Chapter of the Sigma Phi Delta Fraternity was founded on May 25th, 1947 as Tri-State's only premier professional Engineering Fraternity.

The object of the Sigma Phi Delta Fraternity shall be to promote the advancement of the Engineering Profession; to foster the advancement of Engineering Education; to instill a greater spirit of cooperation among Engineering students and organizations; to inculcate in its members the highest ideals of Virtuous manhood, good Citizenship, obedience to Law, and Brotherhood; and to encourage excellence in Scholarship.

Once the members were released from military service following World War II, chapter houses were reclaimed and a drive undertaken to build up the small memberships.  When the call for expansion came from the National Office, Brother LeRoy Horpendahl, then serving on the faculty at Tri-State college, Angola, Indiana, saw the need for an engineering fraternity on that campus and proposed the establishment of a Sigma Phi Delta chapter.  On February 5, 1947, his ideas were presented to a small group of students.  Each student resolved to bring a friend to the next meeting.  By February 19, 1947 the group had grown to thirty-five members.  On May 25, 1947, thirty-nine undergraduates were installed as Kappa Chapter of Sigma Phi Delta, the first post-War chapter.  The installation team included General manager Smith and Brother Horpedahl.  Charter Chief Engineering of Kappa Chapter was Lyle D. Oleson; Chapter Secretary was Arthur J. Hanna.

Our location on campus:

401 S. College St.
Angola, IN

(Across from Christian Campus House and Fawick Hall)

 

 

Last Updated on Monday, 15 August 2011 21:47