|About Sigma Phi Delta|
Kappa Chapter of the Sigma Phi Delta Fraternity was founded on May 25th, 1947 as Tri-State's only premier professional Engineering Fraternity.
The object of the Sigma Phi Delta Fraternity shall be to promote the advancement of the Engineering Profession; to foster the advancement of Engineering Education; to instill a greater spirit of cooperation among Engineering students and organizations; to inculcate in its members the highest ideals of Virtuous manhood, good Citizenship, obedience to Law, and Brotherhood; and to encourage excellence in Scholarship.
Once the members were released from military service following World War II, chapter houses were reclaimed and a drive undertaken to build up the small memberships. When the call for expansion came from the National Office, Brother LeRoy Horpendahl, then serving on the faculty at Tri-State college, Angola, Indiana, saw the need for an engineering fraternity on that campus and proposed the establishment of a Sigma Phi Delta chapter. On February 5, 1947, his ideas were presented to a small group of students. Each student resolved to bring a friend to the next meeting. By February 19, 1947 the group had grown to thirty-five members. On May 25, 1947, thirty-nine undergraduates were installed as Kappa Chapter of Sigma Phi Delta, the first post-War chapter. The installation team included General manager Smith and Brother Horpedahl. Charter Chief Engineering of Kappa Chapter was Lyle D. Oleson; Chapter Secretary was Arthur J. Hanna.
Our location on campus:
(Across from Christian Campus House and Fawick Hall)
|Last Updated on Monday, 15 August 2011 21:47|